HOw To ROSEMARY BY THE FRONT DOOR

Empty planter on the porch
One of my weekend projects, albeit a small one, was to do something with this empty urn/planter we had.  I had just put it on the corner of the porch a couple of months ago so it was safely out of the way as we came and went.  I also had a big pile of soil on the side of the house that "Ma" had used for some old planters she had.  We saved it because it was still dark, rich, and useful.

I figured that I could get rid of most of the soil by filling this up and planting flowers or a perennial of some sort.  Then my thoughts turned to herbs and I finally decided on a rosemary bush.  Rosemary is a great perennial herb and best of all, it's very drought tolerant which is a nice plus.

Rosemary and Portulaca in a planter
So I put some broken up bricks in the bottom of the planter, filled the rest up with the extra soil we had, and put a rosemary plant in the top, surrounded by some portulaca.  I like the portulaca because it not only added color to the spot, but the leaves sort of remind me of the rosemary.
Rosemary by the front door
The flowers are trailing, so they will eventually cascade down the side a bit and the rosemary should last for a long time.  It gives a lovely scent right by the front door, we can snip a few pieces as needed for cooking, and as part of its lore, it is said to bring good luck and ward off negative energy.  Heck, sounds like the perfect plant by the front door of a house if you ask me!

This is the first plant I've put on the porch, which is still a work in progress of course, but it's amazing how much life and color they add to a space.  One small project down, lots more to do!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Update Methods of Fertilizer Application

New Update Seed dormancy and its importance

New Update Mango Hopper, Mango Defoliator, Banana Leaf and Fruit beetle, Citrus Caterpillar/ Lemon Butterfly, Rhinoceros Beetle of Coconut