HOw To SNAKES IN A TREE, ADVENTURES IN THE COUNTRY

Thought you might enjoy this story of my Sunday afternoon the farm, in a little more detail.  I sent this as an email to a friend out of state and she said "you should post that to your blog" and I thought, why not and I'll add some fun photos for your viewing pleasure.  Enjoy!
-------------------------------------------
So, part of my weekend yard working plan was to check out some tree branches that might need to be trimmed next weekend, so I went in here...


Somehow I missed the sign and wandered "in".  As I glanced up to see what branches I could prune, and moved a couple out of the way, I reached for another one and saw a snake curled around it.  It was probably about a foot long, but really, it might as well have been 10 feet long.  It scared me, I scared it, it moved higher up the tree by corkscrewing around the branches, and I corkscrewed back out of the area and exited the way I came as quickly as possible.  

 

Then, in a flash of momentary blogger thinking  brilliance insanity, I thought to myself “oh a picture would be a great idea for the blog, let me go get my camera!”


 So, I go back under the tree, armed with a hoe in one hand and a camera in the other, looking up for my little snake friend.  I don’t know what prompted me to look down instead, but when I finally did look down, this is what I saw...

  
About three feet longer than the little one I saw on the branch, which puts it at about four feet long (or was that 110 feet?), slithering on the ground in front or me.  Was this one just up in the tree earlier as well?  Had I walked under it and didn't notice?  If the one I saw earlier was Jr, this one could be Momma and I sure didn’t want to wait around and see Daddy...


I snapped the pic, got goose bumps, realized I almost stepped on it, then I saw my life flash before my eyes:

Did I really once dress like Sonny Crockett in Miami Vice?  Yes I did, hey it was the 80's, cut me some slack.

Once again, I quickly exited the area.  Serpentine! Serpentine! 

So I go up onto the porch, taking a break with my glass of tea, sitting in the rocking chair to look at the photos I had just taken, hands shaking, still amped up from the great "snakes in a tree" event, when I heard an animal running fast and panting heavily. I saw it out of the corner of my eye, coming at full speed, right up onto the porch where I was sitting. 


With visions of a rabid coyote lunging at my throat, for the second time that afternoon, my life flashed before me.


Did I really wear leather pants once?  Hey, it was the 90's, cut me some slack.
Why do the fashions keep coming up?


Thankfully it was just 2nd Family's dog, ‘Blue’, who was coming up to say hi.  He's a sweet dog, just a little "sudden" and "overzealous" in his appearances.  With the skies becoming dark and hearing some thunder, I took it as a sign that it was time to call it a weekend.

On the way out of the driveway, I saw these pretty flowers and they instantly reminded me of why we want to live out there full time...

...and you know what?  I wouldn't trade anything for that adventure; snakes, phantom coyotes, and all.  I can't wait to go back out there and do it all over again in a few more days...minus the fashion faux pas remembrances of the last century of course. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Update Methods of Fertilizer Application

New Update Seed dormancy and its importance

New Update Mango Hopper, Mango Defoliator, Banana Leaf and Fruit beetle, Citrus Caterpillar/ Lemon Butterfly, Rhinoceros Beetle of Coconut