HOw To THE STUNNING WHITE FLOWERS OF FROSTWEED

Frostweed on each side of the trail

When I've mowed recently, this is the sight that greets me on a certain part of the property.  No worries, I didn't mow over them, this is one of the paths, I've been continually mowing and it seems to have created a border of these flowers.  According to my Wildflowers book, it is called "Frostweed".  Its other names are Virginia Crownbeard, Ice plant, Tickseed, Tickweed, Squaw-weed, and Indian Tobacco.  Believe it or not, it is actually a member of the Sunflower family.

Frostweed in bloom
It is a perennial that grows between three and seven feet tall.  As you can see above, there are a variety of sizes in one grouping.  It blooms from August until November, so I'll have them to look forward to until the mowing season is finally over for the year.

Field of Frostweed
Here is what they look like when viewed as a whole.  Isn't it great?  It's so pretty to see so much white in the Summer because it actually reminds me of Spring. The flowers have an interesting scent too; the closest thing I can use to describe it is that they smell like a sweet soap.  I know that sounds odd but it is actually a very pleasing smell.

Interesting side note: Native American Indians dried the leaves of this and used it as a substitute for tobacco in smoking!  I don't smoke so I won't be attempting that and besides, I'm not sure what laws might be involved, LOL.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Update Methods of Fertilizer Application

New Update Seed dormancy and its importance

New Update Mango Hopper, Mango Defoliator, Banana Leaf and Fruit beetle, Citrus Caterpillar/ Lemon Butterfly, Rhinoceros Beetle of Coconut