HOw To CRAPE MYRTLE BARGAINS

Saturday, we decided to stop at Home Depot to get some cleaning products for the farm.  The garden section is pretty much desolate this time of year but I wandered to the back of the section anyway to look at concrete pavers.  

That's when I saw these two trees.

Crape Myrtle trees
I was standing there for a second and about to walk away and the guy that worked there said "you want those trees?"  I smiled and said "no thanks, I wasn't here to buy trees today".  He said "no, not to buy, I was about to throw these out, but you can have them if you want".

UM...  
FREE TREES?  
HELL YEAH!

Natchez Crape Myrtle
This one is Crape Myrtle "Natchez", a white flower...

Tuscarora Crape Myrtle
This one is Crape Myrtle "Tuscarora", a hot pink flower...

Apparently they throw them out if they look scraggly and it's the end of the season.  Sad note, he said he threw out "about a dozen" a few days before!  I asked if they were still in the trash but he said no it had already been picked up.  Oh well, we'll take two free trees, especially flowering trees.  

Instant color for the farm!  

Crapes do extremely well in our climate, one of the few flowering trees we can grow.  In fact, they are THE most popular tree in Houston landscaping.  I believe  they do well in clay soils too but I'll amend when I can.  Not sure where we will plant them, maybe near the bee yard, or maybe near the house for quick color.

Anyone grow crape myrtles?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Update Methods of Fertilizer Application

New Update Seed dormancy and its importance

New Update Mango Hopper, Mango Defoliator, Banana Leaf and Fruit beetle, Citrus Caterpillar/ Lemon Butterfly, Rhinoceros Beetle of Coconut