HOw To CITRUS PROBLEM HARRIS COUNTY
So, one of our local garden centers is having it's annual 70% off everything sale. Yay! We headed off to look for some ornamental trees (still need a few Vitex/Texas Lilac for the driveway). We'd also like to get a plum tree and one more peach and one more pear.
We also want to try citrus again so as we were roaming around, we went to the citrus section. These tags were on every single citrus tree, lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit...it didn't matter, it was on all of them:
In all the years I've been venturing out to garden centers and nurseries, I've never seen this on any plant. Very odd. Needless to say, since our farm is outside of Harris County, we couldn't buy any citrus.
When we got back home, I had to look it up and see what it was all about. I found THIS ARTICLE. There is a disease called Citrus Greening that is going on. In July, they apparently banned ALL citrus sales to keep it from spreading (glad we weren't citrus hunting in June). Now they are for sale again but you can't leave the county with them.
They even want's people to 'report' suspicious plants at the website below:
![]() |
| http://www.saveourcitrus.org |
I don't think we will take the chance on getting any this season. We want a lemon, a lime, an orange and a grapefruit but since they are so sensitive to freezes, I think we'll get them in the Spring after danger of frost and hopefully after this has passed. We'll just check out next year's crop when they get shipped to the nurseries.
On the upside, we did get some more ornamental plants/bushes to add 'color' to the farm, more on that in another post.
Hope you had a great weekend!
Hope you had a great weekend!

Comments
Post a Comment