HOw To DIY SEED STARTING GREENHOUSE BOX



So, a few weeks ago, I needed to get a few seedlings started.  I didn't have one of those grow boxes/mini greenhouse things so I decided to make my own.  I had this "Rubbermaid" storage container...





First thing I did was make sure my seed starting trays fit in the bottom.  They did, two of these eight-cell ones fit nicely and that was all I needed.



The next thing I did was drill some large holes in the top that would allow air in and moisture out. I just randomly drilled until it looked like enough, no science behind it.




Then I planted my seeds in some seed starting soil medium and put them in the bottom of the box.




I watered them well, and put about a quarter inch of water in the bottom so that the trays would soak it up as well.  After it was sufficiently wet, i just popped the lid on (which actually locks into place) and I put it under a desk lamp that has a 'natural light' light bulb in it.





I use a spray mister to just spritz water in there occasionally, usually every other day and as you can see, it works well at keeping the conditions inside ideal for sprouting the seeds.
Seedlings in DIY grow box
These are from a couple weeks ago, they are much bigger now and about ready to be planted in the ground.  I'm not doing a lot of 'from seed' this year (as far as plants such as tomatoes, peppers, etc) since this is our first year.  I will plant carrots, beets, radishes, etc. from seed of course, directly into the garden beds.  

Fortunately, we have an couple of awesome garden centers here in town (near our house) that have great heirloom varieties already grown and ready to plant so I will use those for most of our plantings.  Next year, now that the garden beds and other infrastructure items are done, I can focus on growing all our plants from seed, hopefully from seed I harvest myself this season.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Update Methods of Fertilizer Application

New Update Seed dormancy and its importance

New Update Mango Hopper, Mango Defoliator, Banana Leaf and Fruit beetle, Citrus Caterpillar/ Lemon Butterfly, Rhinoceros Beetle of Coconut