HOw To CEILING FAN DIRECTION WINTER SUMMER
A couple of weeks ago, I blogged about getting some space heaters put in at the farm and how well they worked at warming up the room temperature. I forgot to mention that we made sure to switch the ceiling fans around to run the other direction for "Winter".
![]() |
| Ceiling fan direction, image courtesy of Hansen Wholesale |
I found the image at Hansen Wholesale where they have more information about the process and the science behind it that you can read about.
EDIT: The direction is as you look up at the fan. Easy way is to just turn it to low, wait for it to slow down and then just look up. Doesn't matter where you stand, just look up and see if the blades are rotating clockwise or counterclockwise and adjust accordingly.
CLOCKWISE - Winter (warming effect)
COUNTER CLOCKWISE - Summer (cooling effect)
It worked great. When I got there, I realized the fans were still spinning counterclockwise which is the way they should be for Summer. This pushes air down and blows it around you, making it feel cooler. So I turned them off, waited for them to stop spinning and then flipped the switch. I also followed the suggestion of turning them to the lowest speed in order to draw the air up and then push it down and out without giving you the wind chill effect that you actually want in the Summer heat.
As I said in the earlier post, the room warmed up quickly and I know the fan direction made a huge difference. All you could feel was a gentle warmth circulating around the room which is definitely what you want in cold Winter.
![]() |
| Polar Vortex record low temperature map, image courtesy of NOAA Mesonet |
With the record cold blast affecting most of the country right now, I figured if something might help us all be a bit more comfortable or make the heating more efficient, I'll post it. I know I could never remember which way is the right way, so hey...flip your switch this Winter and maybe it will help to keep your house a little bit warmer!
And in the meantime...
EDIT: Great suggestion from Galestorm, this would be a great time to clean your fan blades! It is always amazing how quickly they can get dusty and, if you have pets, hairy! If you forget, and the blades go the other direction, it will all blow off into the room and that's never a good thing, ha.



Comments
Post a Comment