HOw To WHOO HOO MUSCADINE GRAPE VINES
| Muscadine grapes |
I FINALLY found some more Muscadines!
You may recall when I blogged HERE about our surprise of some fresh grapes from a vine I had kept in the original container for a year, planning on planting it next Spring since it got too hot too fast this year. They were so delicious, and unexpectedly hardy, I've been looking for more ever since so I can plan a grape area at the farm.
Of course, it's not the best time of year to find them since everything is on sale for end of season and practically sold out, but because they are on sale, I was determined. So on Saturday, I ran to another garden center I hadn't tried yet. The problem I ran into is that I would find plenty, fifteen or twenty at each garden center, but they always had a generic tag on them that just said "Muscadine Grape". It didn't mention the variety. Since some are self pollinating and others require different varieties to fruit, I didn't want to take the chance on getting ones that I'd plant but would never produce.
But good news, I finally found three more! I got another "Carlos", since that one did so well for us, a "Cowart" and then a "Dearing", which is supposed to be well suited to juice/wine. That will give us four vines. I thought maybe I should get another, but when I read that the Carlos alone can produce almost 250 lbs of fruit per vine (once established), I think four will be plenty, ha.
![]() |
| Grapevine trellis pruning, image from Wikipedia |
Best of all? $4.00 each! That's right, for $12, we have the beginnings of a mini vineyard, LOL.
Let the planning for next Spring begin!

Comments
Post a Comment