HOw To GARDEN AREA PROGRESS PART TWO

Raised bed garden area
So when I got to the farm, this was what I had remaining.  It looks harder than it really was.  I was thinking about what to do first, build the rest of the raised beds (eight more 4'x4' squares) and then put the weed cloth down or do it the other way, put the cloth down first and then put the beds on top of it. 

Putting down the weed block fabric
 It really made more sense (and was WAY easier) to just put the fabric down on all the rest of the empty space.  I put down the newspaper and cardboard that I had left (ran out but oh well) and then rolled out the weed block fabric.  Thankfully it wasn't as windy as the weekend before so it was not too bad.  I would roll it out a few feet at a time and then use the lawn staples to hold it down and then go a few feet more.  It took about three hours but I got it done.

Update:  Some of you have asked about the lawn staples.
Here is a LINK TO AMAZON that might help guide you to finding them.

Raised bed garden with weed block cloth
As you can see above, I finished it, on both sides front to back and around the existing beds.  Then I decided to leave a path down the middle, from the front gate to the back gate.  This will make it easier to build the rest of the beds (better to build them as close to where they will end up as possible) so that later on it will be easier to wheelbarrow the mulch into the area and spread it around.  Then I'll put down the last roll of cloth and cover that as well.  I 'may' also do a path of some sort through part of that area, different from the mulch.  There will be an empty spot in the middle that I also have plans for (later on).

I'll post a drawing of the entire garden area plans this weekend.  I decided instead of doing it piecemeal, different parts at the same time (a habit I have due to the nature of my job and having to multitask constantly), I would just complete each step and then move on to the next one.

Step one - Get the weed block fabric down and ready 
Step two - Build the last raised beds and put into place on top of the fabric
Step three - Hook up the irrigation method for this seasons beds
Step four - Mulch delivery
Step five - Plant!


This weekend I hope to be able to complete step two, but there is a forecast of possible sleet and icy roads on Friday.  We'll just have to see how it goes.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Update Methods of Fertilizer Application

New Update Seed dormancy and its importance

New Update Mango Hopper, Mango Defoliator, Banana Leaf and Fruit beetle, Citrus Caterpillar/ Lemon Butterfly, Rhinoceros Beetle of Coconut