HOw To WEEKEND UPDATE

It was a weekend of digging and prepping the garden.  The grass needed to be mowed but we had almost 4 inches of rain at the farm last week and there were some muddy areas.  I didn't want to get the Zen Machine stuck in the mud down one of the trails, so I decided to save that for the next weekend.  Instead, I decided to dig holes to get some of our fruit trees in the ground.



OK, so I didn't have to dig quite THIS many, but it sure felt like it a few times.  Really though, it was only a few holes.  I decided to get five of our trees into the ground this weekend.  First up was the fence line in the front yard 
(2nd Family's back pasture fence) so that all the citrus would be together.  If you'll remember THIS POST last Summer, this was part of my planning, to get all the citrus in this spot.  And now I have.  Yay!





First up, I planted the Mexican Lime tree.  It's a great lime tree that is well suited for our climate.  It's very prolific and produces limes similar to a Key Lime.  I'm sensing lots of key lime style pies in our future.









Then I planted this Meyer Lemon.  I'm sure you all are familiar with this ubiquitous lemon tree.  It's one of the most commonly grown varieties, it's fairly easy to grow and produces a wonderful tasting lemon.








As for our orange tree, there are not  many varieties of a true orange that will grow well here so we more commonly grow Satsumas or Mandarins in this neck of the woods.  This one is a Miho Satsuma, the best variety of Satsuma for here.



Lastly, I moved to the back of our property, behind the house, and planted these two fig trees.  Hard to see here with all the green, ha, but they are there.  Again, the best varieties for our area.  One is an early bearing fig called a Celeste, and the other bears fruit later and more randomly in the year, called a Texas Everbearing.  These two trees will eventually fill in and provide some privacy with the property behind us.  That was my Saturday.

Sunday I edged all around the house which makes it look ten times better.  I also set up a sprinkler system for the raised beds (more on that in a post) and then I did a few things inside which was a nice break.  To top off the weekend, I met with the man who is going to build my garden fence!  Yay!  I showed him what I want and he's coming out this week to set the corner posts and stake it all off so I can make sure it's all to my satisfaction.  More on that soon as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Update Seed dormancy and its importance

New Update Methods of Fertilizer Application

New Update Methods of drainage (Open drainage, Closed drainage)