HOw To FUTURE GARDEN SITE DECIDED
Here we go with the planning!
Part of our plan has always been to build raised beds and create a fairly substantial (for us anyway) garden area. So this past weekend, when it wasn't raining, we spent time roaming around and we finally picked the spot:
| Future Site of Raised Bed Garden |
It is this one! It's a flat area, with minimal trees/bushes. It's near the house but still far enough away that it will be its own separate area, and it gets full sun almost all day long. This photo was taken very late in the afternoon and there are some shadows because the Sun was rapidly setting. There are definitely 6-8 hours of full sun which is, of course, the best choice for a well producing garden.
OK, I'm not the best with using a photo editing program to draw on, but this is, roughly, our plan. It's so not to scale, my apologies, LOL. We want to put in eight, 4' wide and 8' long raised beds. There might possibly be room for two more, giving us a total of ten. But I'm thinking I might leave those out and just make a space for them, and then concentrate on the eight beds for now. There's even a chance that we'll just leave it at six to begin with. That can always be a future 'expansion' project later on. I'm going to clear the area first. One advantage of this spot is that there are no rocks and very little brush to clear. It's really more just mowing all this down and then turning over the soil.
![]() |
| Raised Bed Garden |
After that is done, I need to start building the raised beds. Something similar to this above (this is just a random picture I found online). I have already figured out what type we want and how to build it and just need to start buying the wood and screws. I figured I can go ahead and get those put in place after the area is cleared. No soil would be in them at first as I may try a method I've been reading about where we put down newspaper, wet it, then cover it with cardboard and some mulch. You let that sit for a couple of months and it's supposed to give a good start to the soil.
Come next Spring, I should be ready for bringing in compost, dirt, etc, and planting our first crop of vegetables at our farm.
As always, I'll have photos every step of the way!

Comments
Post a Comment