HOw To GENETICALLY MODIFIED POLLEN FREE FLOWERS OH MY


Regular, old, ordinary geraniums
REALLY?

Is THIS necessary?
(click the underlined link for the full article)

Scientists in Spain have genetically engineered geraniums that are long lived AND allergy free.  They created a flower that has no pollen in order to help allergy sufferers.  How did they do this?  They genetically modified a bacterium so that it could INFECT a regular geranium causing it to not produce pollen and be unable to reproduce with other plants, thereby keeping people from sneezing at geraniums.

I think the most telling part of the article is the following comment by one of the researchers:

"These biotechnological approaches could be used in other ornamental or crop species," Cañas told LiveScience.

I love that fancy word "biotechnological".  Like that makes it all sound good and safe.  Great, just great.  I don't understand this whole GMO movement.  Well, OK, yeah, it's all about $$$ of course, but still...it's just science playing around with things it probably shouldn't be playing around with, in my humble opinion.  Don't bees have enough PROBLEMS already without now encountering flowers without pollen?

What if they extended this to veggies?  What if the bacterium somehow managed to  "accidentally infect" fruit trees?  I just don't see how this could possibly have a good ending in a few years.  I think it's just all the more reason for each of us to have our own fruit trees and grow our own vegetable plants and to try and only use heirloom, non GMO, open pollinated varieties whenever possible.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Update Seed dormancy and its importance

New Update Methods of Fertilizer Application

New Update Methods of drainage (Open drainage, Closed drainage)