HOw To MUSCADINE GRAPE SURPRISE
![]() |
| Muscadine grapevine |
This was a pleasant little surprise. It's a Muscadine grape vine that I bought last year on end of Summer clearance. I didn't put it in the ground because I can't just put it anywhere without some planning for a trellis and it got so hot so fast this year, I was concentrating on the fruit trees themselves. So I've been babysitting it in the backyard in town, keeping it watered. It's not the most attractive plant at the moment since all I've done is water it and it's kind of gangly, but notice the little surprise we found...
...an actual small cluster of grapes! Only three here, but hiding behind another set of leaves were...
...four more ripe grapes! We're excited that it actually produced fruit, while still in their small, plastic, garden center container.
Then we ate them.
OH. MY. GOODNESS.
The grapey-est (new word) grape flavor we've ever had. Wow. I had no idea they were so good!
Then we ate them.
OH. MY. GOODNESS.
The grapey-est (new word) grape flavor we've ever had. Wow. I had no idea they were so good!
So, I'm on my way to the garden center this week to get some more while they are 70% off! I'll just keep them in town for now and I guess we will be planning a spot an area at the farm for several grapevines next Spring. I mean, if I can leave them in a small container for over a a year without major intervention and get a few lovely grapes, what might happen if they were put into the actual ground?
For those unfamiliar with the variety, Muscadines are a grapevine species native to the Southern United States. They make great jelly and can even be made into wine...if you were so inclined to do that of course.
Hmmm, homemade wine? That sounds self reliant, huh?
More prepping in plain sight perhaps? LOL!
HERE is a great link to the Texas A&M website about them.
![]() |
| Muscadine grapes in use, image courtesy of Southernliving.com |
This is the photo from a Southern Living article on using the grapes and all the possibilities for them. Can't wait to see what the future holds.
Anyone ever grown them?


Comments
Post a Comment