HOw To ZINNIAS AND A QUESTION

I was recently over at Donald's Organic Texas Garden Blog and he had some beautiful photos of a type of flower that he grew.
(Actually ALL of his photos are beautiful, please visit his blog for inspiration).
It is called a Zinnia, and is probably familiar to many of you from the South as it is a pretty ubiquitous flower down this way.


Here are some examples I found online of what a Zinnia looks like.  As you can see, they come in many color combinations.
Zinnia Flowers
Seeing his posting reminded me of something from when I was younger.  My Grandmother used to plant flower seeds by the thousands every season.  She loved her flowers.  And her favorite was one she called her "ZINNY'S".  Even her neighbors called them Zinny's.  I was probably in my 30's before I discovered that the flower she was talking about was actually called a Zinnia.


More Zinnia Flowers
So that got me to wondering, now that I have a blog and can ask an assortment of people, I will ask: 

Are there other flowers or plants out there that have one name "officially" but are called something else by you or members of your family?  Or did you grow up thinking one plant was called one thing and found out later it was actually called something else?

I can't wait to be able to say I have my own "zinny's" sometime next year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Update Methods of Fertilizer Application

New Update Seed dormancy and its importance

New Update Mango Hopper, Mango Defoliator, Banana Leaf and Fruit beetle, Citrus Caterpillar/ Lemon Butterfly, Rhinoceros Beetle of Coconut