HOw To NATURE FINDS A WAY


Many of you will remember in May when I gave up the garden, temporarily.
I stopped watering and just let it go while I focused on other things such as planning the drip irrigation system, deciding on the layout of future beds, and figuring out how to kill the grass inside the garden.  There has been no watering and we haven't had rain in almost three weeks.

Well this weekend, I was checking things out and against all odds, two tomato plants are still alive, in fact they are growing and putting on blooms!  And in the herb bed, there are two basil plants that are also doing well.

NATURE FINDS A WAY!





This is a "Marglobe Tomato".  It's bright green, has blooms and has grown a foot or so, without watering and in the blazing heat.  It's an heirloom from 1917, and in my research I found out it is heat and drought tolerant.  I guess this proves that!  I watered it well and pulled its branches inside the   tomato cage.





The other one that has survived is a "Moby Grape Tomato", it makes small grape tomatoes and is currently covered in blooms.  It even has a few small tomatoes growing on it.  I watered it generously as well, and pulled its branches inside the cage.  Amazing how resilient some plants can be.






This is one of the herbs.  It's a regular basil plant and it has now gone for several weeks without watering, yet it's growing like gangbusters.  I did  trim it back since it was flowering (as well as the one below) after I took the picture, I just wanted you to see how well they grew without any assistance.  







This is the other basil that did really well, it's Thai Basil.  Since these varieties have done so well, I will make sure we always have them growing in the garden.  I hope to get some tomato seeds so I can plant those specific plants.  I'll continue watering them all regularly and see how they come out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Update Methods of Fertilizer Application

New Update Seed dormancy and its importance

New Update Mango Hopper, Mango Defoliator, Banana Leaf and Fruit beetle, Citrus Caterpillar/ Lemon Butterfly, Rhinoceros Beetle of Coconut